Thursday, October 1, 2026

GAS Featured Poet: Jacob R. Moses


Jacob R. Moses is a poet, educator, and spoken word artist from NYC. Publications featuring his work span five continents. He is the author of Grimoire (iiPublishing, 2021)  WTF: Writing Through Fascism (Bainbridge Island Press, 2024) and Mutable Air (Seattle Sound Publishing). In 2024, he was nominated for a Pushcart Prize by New Generation Beat Publications for his poem, “Lottery.” In 2025, he was nominated for Best of the Net by Bainbridge Island Press for his poem, “Reflecting Clarity.” 

Currently, he is an English professor at Wagner College.

Professors Moses’s book(s) are on Amazon. 
or
PoetryofJacobMoses.com/09/11/grimoire-on-amazon/



Called to Return



Too many verse slingers

Have met their makers


Whether they preach justice

Whether they preach mercy

Whether they preach truth

Whether they preach grace


Poets are being called to return

To the afterlife where souls

Are rebirthed in the hopes

That poetry stays alive

In the future of a growing

And fruitful generation


To Nikki - I thank you for

Your poise in your role

As a revolutionary


To Andrea - I thank you for

Your quiet and empathetic

Spin on tolerance and rebellion


To the local poets who succumbed

To their internal gaping wounds


You won’t be forgotten and

For certain you’ll be remembered


Whether as grand masters

Whether as poet laureates

Whether as open mic’ers

Whether as curators

Whether as rebels

Whether as bards


A generation is rapidly dying

Baby boomers now retired

Soon to be expired like

Year old coupons


There’s no discounting

Our experiences and

We must live to tell

Our stories for the

Allotted time we are

Given on this land


We are the soothsayers

Never forgetting our

Ancestry and the

Bloodlines our

Words fuse



Carotid



Cannot find an analogy

To dignify the carnage


Though I will never cheer

At the sight of a carotid

Artery busting open


I will also never forget

Lofty expectations from

Authoritarian flunkies


Expecting me to care

About the life of someone

Who made a career out of

Cherry picking which

Lives are unworthy


His existence was a trite couplet

His demise was an extended metaphor


Worthwhile resolution to a dissertation

On violence, cognitive dissonance,

Restitution of my consistency


I don’t condone murder, don’t wish

For bullets to amputate souls from bodies

And I would not ever summon sorcery

And savagery like a spiritual familiar


But his words were shrapnel

Rusty ball bearings with no

Bearing whatsoever on

Furthering humanity


Wasting more space than

An antique car on concrete blocks


So before you accuse me of

Being heartless, remember that

He advocated for my stoning

And blamed my money for

Dismantling our values


He celebrated the Second Amendment

And the casualties needed to sustain it


I want to plead the Fifth Amendment

But I’m not afraid of self-incrimination


I’m not afraid to speak my mind

Using my own mouth, and not

Letting gunpowder saturate

And inflame my expletives


The worth of his life will not

Be up for debate like my

Rights as a queer, time

And time again, and frankly,

He was as useless as a

AC adapter in an DC outlet


I derive no lust from this

Don’t want negativity

To breed like minks


A gunman stole his life

But he already robbed

People of their dignity


I will not celebrate his death

I will not celebrate his life


My cheeks have never been dryer

My empathy always has its limits


No comments:

Post a Comment