Friday, November 20, 2020

"Music is Life Itself" (Louis Armstrong) by Kevin M. Hibshman

      

  My intense love for music began at a very young age. I hummed pop songs I picked up on from my mother. She had a small transistor radio in the kitchen and she was always humming along to the hit songs of the day. My father, who played saxophone, also enjoyed the radio and music would accompany the family on our car trips everywhere. I grew up during the 70's and 80's when commercial music was at its peak. Music had little competition for public attention then besides television and many music-themed shows were quite popular. In a sense, There was no escaping it. 


        Music truly became indispensable to me during my teen years when I began to form my own tastes and opinions. Being somewhat of an outsider, I found the only voices that spoke to me were the musicians who provided the soundtrack to my youth. I was drawn immediately to punk rock and new wave although I have always had a wide range of favorite bands. I began writing songs with my best friend, Kris, a pioneering female guitarist and she exposed me to even more artists. We formed two bands that played alternative rock, mixing our own songs with cover versions from our favorite bands. 


        Music has been my closest, most dependable life-long friend, speaking to as well as for me. It is its own ever-expanding universe and has guided me to become the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment