Monday, March 8, 2021

GAS Featured Artist: Lawrence Barrett, presented by Sylvia Van Nooten




Lawrence Barrett’s work is a geometric work of color and line, planes that stretch out and circles that embrace. To me there is a depth in each piece that releases something in the viewer, like reading a poem that speaks directly to the heart yet not with written language. His poetry and art are amazing meditations and a place to contemplate quietly. Sylvia Van Nooten



Q: What is behind your artistic vision?


A: The interplay of shapes and colors, space and textures, positive feelings, emotions and ideas, happening simultaneously. Art for me is a meditation. I like to think that I am creating/experiencing layers upon layers upon layers of flow and integration emanating from some superconscious moment. It’s as if each piece is like a therapy session washing/cleansing me in color. It’s very personal, but public; like a confession.






Q: How does being an artist help you communicate with the world?


A: My art levels me on a plane of positivity with zero anxiety; and that’s how I begin my adventure with every piece; that’s the place from which my art speaks.




Q: Have you built or joined a community of artists around the world?


A: I have obviously contributed my art on Face- Book. I have helped to create local drum circles and bands. I have participated in numerous poetry readings. I like performing on the local stage. I like watching art live as it happens. I think being in a collective of artists, local or virtual, encourages and spurs artistic growth. All feedback is good.




 Hear Laurence read on GAS video show #3.

Barrett, a retired U.S. Army and Iraqi war veteran, as well as a native Marylander and transplant El Pasoan, is the author of five self-published works:  
Radical Jazz, Love Poems for the End of The World Threads of LatitudeDrum Song; and Theory of Stealing Bicycles. He has an MA in Human Resources from Webster University and has resided in El Paso for the last twenty years. Lawrence has been published in El Paso Magazine (Nov 2008), Mezcla:  Art & Writing from the Tumble Words Poetry Project (2009), Calaveras Fronterizas (2009), Dining and Fun (2010): An Anthology of Beat Texas Writing (2016); and online at the Newspaper Tree.  He has been interviewed by Paperback Swap; and three of his books have been reviewed by Unlikely Stories. Lawrence Barrett has been a featured reader at the Barbed Wire Readings hosted by Border Senses. He has presented poetry workshops for the El Paso Writer’s League and the Tumble Words Poetry Project. He has had the honor of reading his poetry twice on the Monica Gomez “State of the Arts” Radio Program. His works are available at Amazon.com


No comments:

Post a Comment