Saturday, March 20, 2021

GAS Featured Musician: Jerusalem Mules, presented by Kevin M. Hibshman



Jerusalem Mules is the one-man band from Erie, Pennsylvania comprised of Matt Borczon. He not only plays a variety of instruments, He builds them himself. His music combines original songs with cover renditions of timeless spirituals, country ballads and folk tunes. He is something like a troubadour for our troubled times, blending an antiquated sensibility with a post-punk edge. Let's find out more.



KH: Could you tell us some of your musical inspirations and/or favorite artists?


MB: I love most old music. Doc Boggs and The Carter Family come to mind. I also love Dave Alvin, Steve Earl and some of the alt-country guys. In the most modern underground sense, I am a huge fan of The Godamn Gallows, The Calamity Cubes, High Lonesome and the whole Hellbilly movement. As for who influenced me, there is a musician in York, PA. named Shane Speal who built the first big website examining the cigar box guitar. This changed my whole life! Building and then playing these simple instruments allowed me to get the simplicity I was looking for.



KH: How many instruments do you play?


MB: Let's see. Guitar, everything from one to six strings, tenor and five-string banjo, some violin and mandolin, Mostly anything with strings. I also play some penny-whistle and a little harmonica.



KH: What was your initial inspiration for building your own instruments?


MB: I pretty much only play what I build now. I learned  from a cigar box guitar website. You can now google plans for a cigar box guitar and find tons of great information on them. Also, YouTube videos.



KH: You are a published poet. Do you find it easier to write song lyrics or poetry? 


MB: Since starting to take poetry more seriously, I find it harder to write songs now. I tend to be better at whichever one I'm working hardest on.



KH: Has Jerusalem Mules played in public?


MB: I have played a bunch of open-mic shows and a few cigar box guitar festivals over the years. Not much since Covid hit.



KH: Do you have future plans for this project?


MB: I am always recording and I hope to get a three-piece band out in front of an audience once this all ends.



KH: What would you like listeners to take away from your music?


MB:I hope it gets them interested in old music and maybe building their own instruments. Also, I'm always hoping to show people that you don't need lots of money to make real music, just some simple instruments, time and energy. Sort of what made me love punk rock in the 70's.



Here is a link to the Jerusalem Mules on band camp


No comments:

Post a Comment