Thursday, October 8, 2026

GAS Featured Poet: Jacsun Shah

 


 Jacquelyn “Jacsun” Shah, Cincinnati-born, has lived in New Jersey; London; and Mumbai, India. She currently resides in Houston, Texas. Education: AB–Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude; MA; MFA; PHD––English/creative writing. Publications: poetry chapbook (small fry) & full-length poetry book (What to Do with Red); memoir (Limited Engagement: A Way of Living); individual poems in journals. She was Gleam: Journal of Cadralor’s 2023 Pushcart Prize nominee. An iconoclast, she often combines cultural critique and humor in her work. 



It Began, and Lingers


It began slowly, that love

the dawning as indistinct

as morning mist

nudging me here and there

quietly crowding my senses

I’d see your tongue

flick over lips to moisten

hot, dry skin (divulging 

a thickness of feeling?)

I’d hear your clusters of words

pulsating rhythms

impressed by the sense

aroused by the pitch

I thought I could taste

your fingertips

as my imagination drew you

to me


It began slowly, my love

for you, winding its way

through shadows, spawning

cool green moments 

My own perfume awakened me

I wondered if it reached you

Now I always sense your approach

watch the controlled pace

of your movements, pulled

by the spread of your shoulders

aware of the pure

indulgence I allow myself

I like the quick sardonic smile

that gilds your point-blank features

your harmony of arrogance

and self-effacement

the tautness of the cloth

across your legs

Away from you, I give myself

what only the imagination can give

creating you as lover

recreating over and over

a first touch


It began slowly, my love, emerging

from a well I thought was dark and dry

to rush at last with the force of a stormy sea!

A starry round, a loop and up

to you I come, then down

down, too long, too long

then up in a dizzy, darting path

through days and days and days

of you


It began slowly, that love

and lingers

like the taste of cool mint

It ruffles me

like a summer breeze

when I least expect it








No comments:

Post a Comment