Tuesday, July 21, 2026

GAS Featured Poet: David Wolf

 

David Wolf is the author of seven collections of poetry, Open SeasonThe Moment Forever, Sablier ISablier IIVisions (with artist David Richmond), Weir (a micro-chapbook from Origami Poems Project), and Seven. His work has appeared in numerous literary magazines and journals, including BlazeVOXCleaver MagazinedadakukudecompE·ratio, Exacting Clam, Indefinite Space, Lotus-eater Magazine, New York Quarterly, Otoliths, River Styx MagazineTransom, and Utriculi. He is a professor emeritus of English at Simpson College and serves as the poetry editor for Janus Head: Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature, Continental Philosophy, Phenomenological Psychology, and the Arts.


 


What’s in this?


Sit with me awhile.
Nigh is night, and just when you feel
it’s time to stave off another tip of the hat,
you hear the scythes whirring in.
Why, it’s another sunrise,
illuminating the russet trees, pink chimney-smoke,
just a single plume.
Heck if there’s not
something about that new little pizza joint next door
that makes you hope they succeed,
a felt reaction to all the pulpy pizazz going round,
and yet by now this happenstance 
should be sufficiently muddied.
Clarity squared. 
Drifting in through failure’s open window:
serenity sinking back into the hazy whine— 
a rustling
of stiff brims fraying.




Youthful Love Poem Revised for My Collected Works


September Song


The sultry wind scattering

 a few more leaves from the trees

into the pale September grass…


Beginning to doze

from a little too much afternoon wine…


The summer going, going…


Then a surge of remembrance:


The worried look you fixed me with that day

as if to confirm

the lost mind I was claiming

though it was you I was losing

not my mind

and you knew that as you closed the car door for me

and I started the engine

the last time I would ever see you in this life

the only one for love



Sumped Ember Song


The cutworm breeze gathers

myriad seeds from the clouds

flings them into the wild autumn desert . . .

 

Awakening

from a loss of dawn’s dreamless naphtha—

 

you brush away winter seeping in, in

 

a draining balm:

 

The smile you saddled yourself with that afternoon

as if to reject

the found secretions loosed upon the magical hellscape

though it was my own shimmer I was collecting

not the scraps 

and you claimed nothing as you opened the elevator door for me (no car, only the shaft)

and I dropped and 

rolled free of

the first instance I would forget you in this life
this life 
the only one for

all that

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment