Sunday, January 17, 2021

GAS Featured Artist: Amy Rodriguez, presented by Sylvia Van Nooten


Amy Rodriguez is another friend from the asemic world.  Her art is exquisitely rendered, layers of color and shapes that speak pure visual poetry.  I have several of her works and what strikes me is how powerful they are in person, as if I am hearing words I can’t quite comprehend but can feel deeply.  Below, Amy describes the processes that create these pieces of loveliness. 






-What's behind your artistic vision? 


Art is an active meditation.

I create with the intention of holding up a mirror to the unconscious, but when mirror faces mirror, what is seen? My paintings are maps to unseen worlds, foreign realms, pockets of consciousness inexpressible by other means. Painting is a way for me to move past space, time and understanding. To express essence with color. To inspire contemplation in myself and others. To usher in the birth of something new. The Sun is a source of great influence and inspiration in my life and it features prominently in many paintings.  


Most of my work is done with India ink, water and sometimes pencil. I adhere to a process of layering color, washing, drying and layering again. Washing the pages feels like a sacred ritual and I will often wash 3 times before the final period of drying.




I add the asemic elements of my work last, writing from the depths of dark, empty voids. Each stroke is an act of processing, moving through the trauma and grief I have experienced in this life, toward clarity, light, sweetness and peace. 


Some of my greatest influences are the marvelous immensity of the known Universe, our beautiful Mother Gaia, the philosophy of Zen, and the writings of Carl Jung. 


"I was being compelled to go through this process of the unconscious. I had to let myself be carried along by the current, without a notion of where it would lead me." -Carl Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections (1962), p. 196




-How does being an artist help you communicate with the world?


I have always had a strong desire to share 'beauty medicine' in
whatever form I am able. A lot of my drive to create comes from that inspiration. I often choose bold colors because I find them uplifting and hope that those who view my art feel uplifted as well. 



-Have you built or joined a community of artists around the world?


I first encountered other Asemic artists through the Asemic Writing: The New Post-Literate group on Facebook. I was honored to be invited to become a member of Women Asemic Artists & Visual Poets // WAAVe Global after connecting with several wonderful women involved with the group such as Kristine Snodgrass, Sylvia Van Nooten and Nicola Winborn among many other creative and talented women. I am inspired daily by these outstanding Artists and feel grateful to be in their company, forging a new path together. 




In 2020 Amy was a featured Artist in The Attic Zine No. 7, Green and Purple 1 issue. Her work was also featured in Red Fez Issue No. 126. This year she was proud to be a part of the upcoming first edition of WAAVe Global Gallery, published by Hysterical books in the summer of 2021.


More of her artwork can be seen at: 


https://www.facebook.com/amyrodriguezarteclectic


https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/6-amy-rodriguez?fbclid=IwAR0ajUtsc5nI2qkFlQoG-pk71IsY1tV5NzWi_zjHDA-hg9XywxwiG8K3Heo





1 comment:

  1. Amy is a beautiful woman with a beautiful heart and soul who I'm honored to have as my friend.
    I am also honored to have one of her earlier works which I treasure greatly.
    Love you Amy,
    -Pat.

    ReplyDelete